The extranet system of the Maryland Police and
Correctional Training Commissions.
CODE OF MARYLAND REGULATIONS
Updated October 16, 2015
Title 12 DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONAL SERVICES
Subtitle 04 POLICE TRAINING COMMISSION
Chapter 01 General Regulations
Police Officer Annual In-Service Training and Qualification.
A. Police Officer Annual In-Service Training Requirements.
(1) An agency head shall ensure that a certified police officer at or below the rank of first-line supervisor completes a minimum of 18 hours of Commission-approved in-service training each calendar year.
(2) The Commission shall only accept successful completion of Commission-approved training toward a police officer's annual in-service training requirements.
(3) For annual in-service training, the Commission may approve independent electronic instruction through which information on an identified topic is provided to a police officer through the officer's interaction with an electronic medium, and without the immediate supervision or assistance of an individual identified as the training instructor.
(4) Commission-approved police officer in-service training may be conducted according to Commission requirements by the police officer's law enforcement agency, another law enforcement agency, school, academy, or organization.
(5) The Commission does not require a Commission-certified police officer to meet the inservice training requirement under this regulation during the same calendar year the police officer successfully completes Commission-approved police officer entrance-level training.
(6) The Commission may apply training received by a police officer successfully completing Commission-approved supervisor, administrator, or instructor training toward the police officer's annual in-service requirement in the same calendar year that the police officer successfully completed the Commission-approved supervisor, administrator, or instructor training.
(7) Beginning in the year 2004 and every third year thereafter, police officer annual in-service training curriculum and minimum courses of study shall include special training in, attention to, and study of the application and enforcement of:
(a) The criminal laws concerning rape, sexual offenses, the sexual abuse and exploitation of children, and related evidentiary procedures;
(b) The contact with and treatment of victims of crimes and delinquent acts;
(c) The notices, services, support, and rights available to victims and victim's representatives under Maryland law; and
(d) The notification of victims of identity fraud and related crimes of their rights under federal law.
(8) No later than December 31, 2013, a police officer required to complete annual in-service training under this regulation shall successfully complete Commission-approved autism awareness training if the police officer has not previously successfully completed autism awareness training as part of a Commission-approved entrance-level training program.
(9) No later than December 31, 2016, and within every 2 years after that date, a police officer required to complete annual in-service training under this regulation shall successfully complete a Commission-approved training program on lifesaving techniques, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- TRAINING CALENDAR
- TRAINING RESOURCES
- ONLINE REGISTRATION
- LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT INSTITUTE
- PAROLE & PROBATION
- POLICE TRAINING
- FIREARMS TRAINING FACILITY (FTF)
- DRIVER TRAINING FACILITY (DTF)
- PCTC AGENCY DIRECTORY
- POLICE STANDARDS and TRAINING COMMISSION
- ELECTRONIC LEARNING
- PARTNER ORGANIZATIONS
- EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
- TRAVEL DIRECTIONS